Varicose veins of the lower extremities is not always reversible chronic deformation of the vessels of the gastrocnemius and femoral region of the body, associated with a deterioration in the work of the intravenous valves, "responsible" for the blood circulation in the vessels of the legs.
As you know, blood circulation in the body is carried out in two directions: from the heart to the vessels of the lower extremities and vice versa, from the vessels of the legs back to the heart. The valves inside the veins, being in a healthy state, completely close with the walls of the vessels and push the blood flow up towards the heart.
If, for some reason, a valve malfunction occurs, part of the blood, without returning in the opposite direction, settles in the venous vessels of the lower extremities.
This leads to stagnation of blood in the veins of the legs, deformation and stretching of blood vessels, thinning of their walls, in a word - to varicose veins.
Is it possible to get rid of varicose veins? This question is asked by thousands of patients, because this disease, alas, does not spare neither the young nor the elderly, nor the stronger sex, nor the beautiful ladies.
In this material, we will try to reveal the topic of how to get rid of varicose veins on the legs, what methods of eliminating the disease exist, what life rules should be followed by the patient so that getting rid of the disease is as effective and long-lasting as possible.
Under what circumstances should the alarm be sounded
Any disease begins with the first "alarm bells" indicating that not everything is in order with the body, a pathological process begins. And varicose veins are no exception, in the presence of the following symptoms, you need to immediately run to the vascular surgeon.
- Feeling of "weights on the legs", pain, bursting in the calf region.
- The appearance of varicose nets on the surface of the skin of the legs.
- Convulsions at night when the body is at rest and relaxed.
- Swelling of the lower extremities, especially towards evening. The patient notes with regret that previously comfortable shoes become cramped and cause discomfort.
What is the cause of the onset of the disease
The main reason in most cases is negative heredity, however, varicose veins can occur in the presence of the following factors:
- Errors in the diet, preference for salty, smoked, fried foods, in a word, everything that contributes to blood thickening and the deposition of cholesterol on the walls of blood vessels.
- Tobacco and alcohol addiction.
- Long-term hormone therapy - the vessels are very sensitive to hormonal disruptions.
- Wearing uncomfortable, overly constricting clothes and shoes - high heels, or simply uncomfortable shoes with uncomfortable last.
- Carrying out a pregnancy: here the appearance of varicose veins is provoked by several factors - a changed hormonal background, an increased load on the vessels due to an increase in blood flows circulating through them and an increase in the weight of the pregnant woman, which creates a serious load on the lower extremities.
- Constantly standing or sitting, due to work needs.
- Low physical activity, neglect of physical exercise and walking in the fresh air.
- Age 35 and above.
Is it possible to get rid of varicose veins forever and forget an unpleasant ailment, like a bad dream? There are chances, but on condition that treatment is started at the primary signs of the disease, its very initial symptoms.
When there is evening swelling, pain and distention, as well as a pronounced capillary pattern, it is necessary to urgently go to a phlebologist and start treatment.
Ways to eliminate venous disease
There are an impressive number of methods and means of how to get rid of varicose veins, they can be conditionally divided into several categories:
- Independent measures to eliminate the disease. This is a set of several rules that should become the basis of the lifestyle of a venous patient.
- Conservative medical methods.
- Surgical therapy of varying degrees of invasion (intervention).
- Methods and means of traditional medicine.
It is important to understand that in order to get rid of varicose veins in the legs, one method or medicine is not enough, the most effective is complex therapy for venous disease: a combination of a healthy lifestyle, medications, exercise. But first things first.
Compression jersey to be worn at all times. Such underwear is sold in specialized stores, produced in the form of leggings, stockings and tights. The degree of compression (pressure) of such products also varies from preventive to super-strong, up to 50 mm Hg. Art. , used in severe chronic form of varicose veins.
The attending physician will tell you the required compression class, who will also write a prescription for the purchase of such underwear. After all, only prophylactic class products are on sale.
Wearing compression garments can be extremely effective, especially in the early stages of ailment. As doctors confirm, with the help of special knitwear, more than one woman got rid of varicose veins during pregnancy!
How can the patient himself contribute to the elimination of varicose veins?
It is important to observe several principles here:
- You need to adjust your diet. Let your menu be dominated by dishes from vegetables, cereals, lean meat, preferably chicken, turkey or lean beef. And of course, it is very important to drink as much clean fresh water as possible, replacing carbonated drinks with it, especially sweet, strong teas and coffee. The list forbidden for a venous patient contains: pickles, smoked meats, spicy marinades, fatty meat foods and sweet pastries.
- You will have to forget forever about tobacco products, as well as about frequent alcohol consumption, for the period of treatment it should be completely excluded.
- Replace uncomfortable shoes, including heels, made of synthetic materials, for comfortable, high quality things made of natural fabrics and leather, which provide the feet with unhindered oxygen exchange.
- Make it a rule to do physical therapy, yoga, swimming, as well as regular walks in the fresh air on a flat surface.
- A contrast shower is a very effective remedy for those who wish to get rid of varicose veins. It is he who should replace trips to the bathhouse and sauna.
- Frequent prolonged exposure to the sun is the enemy for sore veins!
However, independent measures against varicose veins often do not bring a tangible effect without the use of medications and techniques. Medical methods can be both conservative and radical, operational in nature.
Conservative medicine aimed at treating varicose veins includes:
According to the method of application, they can be divided into the following groups:
- External gels, ointments and creams for varicose veins.
- Tablet preparations. The list is quite extensive.
According to the method of therapeutic action, anti-varicose drugs are subdivided in the following order:
- Venotonic: tablets and external agents, the action of which is aimed at strengthening the vascular walls, giving them elasticity, eliminating their excessive permeability, preventing their further deformation.
- Anticoagulants: medicines that thin the blood, prevent the formation of blood clots and their adhesion to the walls of blood vessels.
- Angioprotectors: drugs that improve blood circulation in the veins and small capillaries, normalize the process of supplying tissues with oxygen and nutrition, eliminate trophic ulcers in varicose veins, normalize the structure of soft tissues.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs (non-steroids) that suppress the inflammation of the walls of blood vessels and adjacent soft tissues.
Minimally invasive methods
Surgical measures also have their own gradation. Surgery for varicose veins of a small degree of invasion (intervention) is used to stretch the superficial veins located directly under the skin, up to 0. 5 cm in diameter.
Minimally invasive methods include:
- Laser or radio frequency coagulation. This type of intervention involves gluing or filling the diseased vessels with connective tissue through the contact of the diseased vein and laser beams or radio frequencies that enter the vessel with a probe.
- Sclerotherapy. This method, also called vascular sclerotization, is based on the introduction of a special substance (solution or foam) into them, which, by gluing the vessel, removes it from the circulatory system, thereby preventing further progression of varicose veins. All minimally invasive methods, as a rule, do not require a long period of rehabilitation, a prerequisite is the daily wearing of compression underwear after the procedure, as well as adherence to a correct lifestyle.
- Minifleboectomy. This type of intervention is carried out under local anesthesia and is carried out as follows: a micro-incision is made on the surface of the skin, after which, using a special needle with a rounded end, the deformed section of the vessel is removed and resection is performed.
This is a major operation performed using general anesthesia, involving the complete removal of a diseased vein or a large part of it. In this way, vessels are operated that are deep in the muscle tissue, seriously affected by varicose veins, with a diameter of over 5 mm.
After phlebectomy, a long-term recovery period (approximately 20-30 days) follows, long-term use of various anti-varicose drugs, constant wearing of compression underwear of 2. 3 or 4 compression classes.
Another group of means and methods of how to get rid of varicose veins at home are folk, "grandmother's" methods.
These are various ointments, compresses, rubbing, recipes for which have been invented for a long time and are passed from mouth to mouth.
- Take 1 large spoonful of hop cones, pour 250 ml of freshly boiled water. Let it stand until it cools down to room temperature. Now the infusion can be filtered and taken in a glass before meals.
- Pour a quarter of a glass of horse chestnut flowers with 500 ml of certified alcohol or vodka, place the vessel in a darkened corner for 10-14 days. Then the drug must be drained through gauze, used externally, rubbing the damaged limbs before going to bed, 1 time per day. Store the bottle in a cool place.
- Garlic-based compress. We take a head of garlic, clean it, grind it into gruel. Mix with animal fat or butter, taking in an amount twice the weight of the garlic mass. The resulting drug is evenly applied to the diseased area of the leg, secured with parchment or film, then we wrap the limb with a layer of fabric. We leave it overnight. Wash off with warm water in the morning.
- Among the methods of treating varicose veins with folk remedies, apple cider vinegar occupies a special place. They can both rub the diseased limbs and take orally according to the following scheme: 20 grams of vinegar per 250 ml of water, drink three times a day before meals in small sips.
According to the reviews of patients, traditional medicine can be quite effective, provided that the required proportions are strictly observed when prepared and approved by the attending physician.
Remember: a person's health is in his hands. At the slightest signs of venous disease, it is necessary, without delay, to contact a vascular surgeon (and best of all to a phlebologist) and rather take measures to eliminate the symptoms of the disease.
Get rid of varicose veins, spare no time and effort, because the sooner you start treatment, the more chances that the insidious disease will recede forever!
Successful treatment and the fastest recovery from the disease! Be healthy!